2025 Reading at a Glance
I can't believe 2025 is already over! After a (long) holiday break, I'm excited to finally share my 2025 reading wrap up and hopefully lots more book reviews this year!
Quick Stats
-
Total books read: 153
-
Pages read: 39,202
-
Average book length: 256 pages
-
Average rating given: 4.3/ 5
-
Shortest book read: The Market Basing Mystery by Agatha Christie (25 pages)
-
Longest book read: Little Women by Lousia May Alcott (777 pages)
Most read authors: Agatha Christie (16 books) and Janette Oke (13 books)
Average number of books read per month: 12.4
# of fiction books read: 106
# of nonfiction books read: 47
# of DNFs: 6
2025 Favorite Books & Honorable Mentions
Some of my favorite novels/series of the year (not in any order):
~ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. An absolute masterpiece, I greatly enjoyed my first time reading this and can't wait to revisit it again soon!
~ Emma by Jane Austen. Very readable, funny, and thoroughly entertaining.
~ Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Yes, another Austen book. This one was one of my top favorites by her-- very witty and satirical.
~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Aside from some moral problems with the plot, I thought this was a brilliant, breathtaking, unforgettable novel.
~ North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Such an interesting classic with a really sweet ending!
~ The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion by Beth Brower. This 8-book series (and counting!) was completely addicting; incredibly hilarious, with some deep moments sprinkled throughout as well. There were some things in some of the later books that I didn't care for, but I'm still looking forward to the release of the 9th book!
~ The Secrets of Ormdale by Christina Baehr. This series was so unique and fun! I was so invested in the storyline and cannot wait for the spin-off series to be completed!
~ All Manner of Things by Susie Finkbeiner. This book...๐ญ Beautifully bittersweet, real, and raw. A remarkable book, to say the least.
~ A Lady's Guide to Marvels and Misadventures by Angela Bell. Whimsical, quirky, humorous, adventurous, and touching, this story was everything I'd hoped it would be ๐ฅน
~ Little Women by Lousia May Alcott. Roughly my 5th or 6th time reading this beloved classic. It will forever be the most beautiful, perfect story ๐ฉท
Some of my favorite nonfiction books of the year (not in any order):
~ Adorning the Dark by Andrew Peterson. An almost poetic book all about making something beautiful in this broken world.
~ Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper. An excellent, rich little book! I will certainly be rereading around Good Friday every year.
~ The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun. An incredibly powerful and intense autobiography of a man whom God used mightily to display His power and advance the Chinese church. Highly recommend!
~ Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot. A missionary classic that is now one of my favorites!
~ God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew. Another powerful, riveting, and convicting missionary autobiography that I could not put down.
Honorable Mentions:
~ The Story People by Heather Kaufman. Super sweet and funny contemporary Christian romance!
~ The All-American by Susie Finkbeiner. Just like "All Manner of Things", this book was so raw and heartfelt, and a perfect read for summer.
~ Vivid by Ashley Bustamante. This was actually really fun and entertaining! The rest of the series I liked a little less, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Least favorite books:
~ Assorted Agatha Christie mysteries. There were some that I liked, but a lot weren't really my thing.
~ Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazo Kawaguchi. I just really disliked the writing style and thought it was kind of strange.
~ The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. This was a reread for me, and I thought the same as when I first read it: This story is weird and dark and pretty unsettling. ๐ณ
~ A Bride for Donnigan by Janette Oke. While this wasn't actually a terrible book, it was definitely my least favorite that I've read by the author, and there were a variety of things that I didn't like about it.
~ The Atlas of Untold Stories by Sara Brunsvold. Though I gave this like a 3 or 3.5 star rating at the time, I've realized after the story "settled" with me that I really didn't like it much at all. Contemporary fiction is not my thing, I thought the faith content was a little weak, and certain characters were just SO annoying through the whole book.
A few of my 2026 reading goals
☆ Read 150 books
☆ Read at least one book in my second language, Spanish
☆ Read the unread books I own
☆ Read the following classics:
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Crime and Punishment Fyodor Dostoevsky
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Odyssey OR The Iliad
Bonus: 2025 included the following stats for the Boundless Bookshelf...
☆ Nearly 10,000 site views
☆ 23 new followers + other newsletter subscribers
☆ 73 bookish posts
...and that's about it! Thanks for reading!!
Bookishly yours,
Lottie M